About the course
The prison edition of our suicide awareness training has been developed with support from men who have served time in prison and is based on lived experience and suicide risk in an adult male prison environment.
It shares information around risk during the different stages of prison life – entry into prison, life in prison and during the transition from prison to community.
The training includes coached prison related scenarios to help you recognise signs of suicidal behaviour and shares how to have a conversation with someone you may be worried about.
Who it’s for
This course has been developed for people who are currently in a male UK prison, working in UK male prison or have family and friends that are in prison. It can be taken by anyone over the age of 16.
What you’ll learn
This training course aims to support drivers to:
- Better understand suicide risk in a male prison.
- Spot the signs that someone may be struggling with suicidal thoughts.
- Recognise the importance of being direct when asking someone how they are feeling.
- How to talk to someone they are concerned about.
- Signpost to organisations that can support them.
How long it will take
The training takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. At the end of the course you will be able to download your certificate of completion.